Sunday, June 22, 2008

Thing 4: Flickr


IMG_1248
Originally uploaded by micstein

I took this photo of snapdragon flowers on my deck because they relate to the Genetics Unit I teach in my 7th Grade Science Class. While Gregor Mendel's famous experiment was done with pea plants, he also studied snapdragons. His experiment with snapdragons identified the concept of incomplete dominance, where red flowers crossed with white flower sproduced pink flowers. I found flickr pretty easy to use. It took a few minutes to set up an account, but before I knew it, I was posting my photo to my blog...pretty easy. The organizational features available in flickr are really appealing to me, mostly due to my scrapbooking habit. I am not sure how to utilize this with students. Perhaps an assignment where they take photos they identify as examples of things we are studying in class and posting them to a blog? Nothing that would require me to do a lot of searching. Something where I can make the photo assignment "come to me" instead of me "having to find it" out there somewhere.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Neat idea!
Could they post to a site like Flickr and comment on the photos? We could set up login accounts for them to have access to post photos and comment.