Sunday, June 15, 2008

Thing 2: What is Web 2.0 & Why Should I Care?

I liked Sarah Houghton's definition of library 2.0 on John Blyberg's blog:

“Library 2.0 simply means making your library’s space (virtual and physical) more interactive, collaborative, and driven by community needs."

Isn't that how we should be defining our classrooms? I think a lot of Blyberg's arguments can be applied to the classroom too. As I read his logic, I kept thinking, wow - you could just substitute the word "library" for the word "classroom". We are educating kids who come to us with a completely different experience and skill set than we grew up and were educated with. That alone should give any educator the motivation to want to learn about and utilize these tools. The kids already use these tools. If we want to be able to "speak their language" we need to use them too. If we want them to be able to show us their best work, shouldn't we allow them to utilize their generations technologies?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Michelle,
I'm excited to have you as a student again! I agree with your thoughts here. I hope that you come away from this experience with some new tools to engage your students and provide them with an authentic experience!